We are testing WIRES-X through a Remote Repeater Link on the 147.150 repeater starting on Jan 14. Since Jeff is using his personal FTM-400 the connection may be down from time to time. Until we get a new W9HSY account confirmed through Yaesu the repeater will alternately identify itself as W9HSY or KC9UNZ depending on whether it is the repeater identifying or my FMT-400 identifying. Also currently WIRES-X is operating only in FM mode NOT DIGITAL. It means we can’t experiment with the C4FM side of things yet but anybody with a normal FM hand held or bigger radio can play.
Currently our plan is to allow for experimentation on FM for a few weeks and then switch it out to Digital for a while to get the reactions. The way we are set up it appears until we set up a second remote radio that is set to Digital we are only able to link one mode at a time.
Here are a few things to note:
- Connect to the repeater as you normally would. No special settings are necessary. (i.e. 147.150, PL 123.0, Split 0.6)
- This will only work on FM
- You will need a radio with a Keypad that can transmit DTMF tones when you key the mic.
- Any connection you create will automatically disconnect in 10 minutes. You can always reconnect but we don’t want it to stay connected indefinately. Please remember however to disconnect (DTMF *) when you are done.
- Some commands to remember
- * – Disconnect
- #66666 – Connection Status
- Connecting to a room/node
- #21080 – America Link
- #21667 – Wisconsin Link
- #62086 – If you are travelling and can connect to a WIRES-X repeater use this command to connect back to the Madison Repeater. (This number will change when the New Registration is complete)
- A couple of helpful lists
- Active WIRES-X nodes: https://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wires-x/id/active_node.php
- Active WIRES-X Rooms: https://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wires-x/id/active_room.php
If you have any questions send them to email@example.com and we’ll see if we can answer them. And let’s chat about this on our Thursday MARA Net to share our experiences.